Thursday, February 23, 2012

Antelope Island



This is Antelope Island in the Great Salt Lake. This looks pretty isolated, but I am shooting over the top of ATK (the company who make propellant for the Space Shuttle and rockets). If I moved the camera an inch left, right or down  I would get part of their plant in the picture. Five minutes after I started shooting this, two security guards for ATK showed up. I was parked off the side of the road and they blocked my vehicle from the front and rear. One of them came up to me wondering what I was doing. He thought I was going to shoot (not with a camera) some deer, which happened to be about 25 feet away behind a fence. After he saw that I was taking pictures, he was cool with it. The other crusty old security guard came up to me after the first guard went to radio in my license plate. I was amused, eagerly awaiting what this crusty guard had to say. He pursed his lips as if in deep thought and scrunched up his face. Pause... Then he said:
"You can't take pictures of the plant."
Before I could respond to let him know that I was on a public road and that I wasn't taking pictures of the plant, the other guard started arguing with him.
"Yes, he can!" Said from behind my vehicle.
The crusty guard backed down quickly like a dog being reprimanded.
"Oh, okay." The crusty guard said happily, like he was being told he could eat a something delicious, then quickly returned to the side of the other guard.
Wow, this guy is quite the tool I thought.
The first guard came back to me and pointed out a few building.
"You see those? There are explosives in there, and we don't want people shooting their guns at them. People like to poach deer out here."
After that, they soon left.
I have a hard time believing that people would shoot their weapons so close to residential areas, but you never know. I think that from my house, I would be able to hear if someone was poaching deer in that area. Even if you managed to shoot a deer, I think you would have a very hard time getting it out of the fenced area. But maybe that's not the point.




No comments:

Post a Comment