Sunday, December 18, 2011

Stansbury Island

I came out to Stansbury Island with my dad last week just at sunset.




These are big salt crystals piled up on the shore of the Great Salt Lake









When I first saw this I thought it was ice crystals. There was snow and ice all over the rest of the island, but after I picked some up and it didn't melt in my hand I realized it was salt.
From this low angle the water looks blue, but from a standing vantage point it had a red tint just under the surface.




Stansbury Island is not an island, but a peninsula. It juts into the Great Salt Lake on the very southern end. The mountains in the distance are the west side of the Oquirrh (pronounced like oaker) mountain range.




1 comment:

  1. Actually, Stansbury Island jutes northward into the Great Salt Lake.

    ReplyDelete